16 June, 2012

That Girl...

I used to be "That Girl"...


You know "That Girl" who would say things like "I only date men who are ...".  I never realized how condescending it sounded.  I never realized how belittling or arrogant the statement could be.


As I have grown older, I have come to acknowledge my naivety and ignorance I exemplified anytime I would voice thoughts such as above.  There is nothing wrong with preferences, although preferences should not supercede the value and worth of a person.  When you focus on the height, weight or career of a person you miss the character and integrity of a person.  Basically, when you proclaim views such as these you are limiting yourself.  Often times you miss the person or blessing because a person has now limited their view.  


You let your eyes lead opposed to wisdom.


My Grandma Maebelle used to tell me all the time, to guard the windows of your soul.  Those windows are your eyes, ears, mouth, and nose. In principal pay attention to the things you see, the things you hear, the things you say and eat and things you smell.  Smell, yes she confused me on that one too - basically because scents can trigger thoughts of good and bad experiences.  Nevertheless when you allow superficial items to guide your decisions - you can lose sight of what may be on the horizon.


An example would be, a person says "I will only date a man/woman that is a certain height", -- blinding you to the fact that this person is irresponsible or and not accountable. Thusly, if you would have just allowed yourself to focus on the spirit of the person you are meeting you would clearly see the individual you are dealing with whether they are a good /bad fit for you.  


This type of rationale is used in a variety of ways in our lives, not just limited to physical attributes. These statements are also used in reference to a person's salvation, "I am not going back to church until..." In terms of people's health, "I am not going to eat healthy or exercise until..." 


The Bible speaks highly of gaining wisdom for your life's decisions 


 Prov 4: 5-9 Get wisdom; develop good judgment.  Don't forget my words or turn away from them.  Don’t turn your back on wisdom, for she will protect you.  Love her, and she will guard you. Getting wisdom is the wisest thing you can do!  And whatever else you do, develop good judgment. If you prize wisdom, she will make you great.  Embrace her, and she will honor you.  She will place a lovely wreath on your head;  she will present you with a beautiful crown.”


Today, begin the process of not limiting your thinking.  Open your life up to the blessings that are before you.  


Don't be "That Girl" or "That Man"...vow to live your life as limitless as possible, so you may be abundantly blessed in all your endeavors.




No comments:

Post a Comment