03 August, 2012

I win!



So I have committed to a lifestyle change.  I have always had good eaten habits, so I thought!  I was vegetarian until I was 15 years old always made good food choices, again so I thought.  I was taught early on in my life how to make wiser choices in food but never was advised on the benefits of exercise.  As a young adult I hated exercise!!!!  So now that I am an adult, it truly has been a emotional, mental, physical and spiritual challenge to get up and have some form of physical activity in my life.



I never connected how my grandmother was vegetarian, was morbidly obese and died of obesity related issues.  Her issue like mine was inactivity.  She did not see the benefits within physical exercise at all.  In my youth actually there were activities I was told specifically I could not participate in just because of the uniforms and clothing associated with those sports.  Such as cheer-leading, gymnastics, tennis and volleyball.  My grandmother believed a young woman should be covered and it was inappropriate for a young girl to have her limbs out and wear short dresses or shorts even if it was sports related.  I see how this influenced the way I viewed sports for a woman.  Before my mother passed she was an avid Tennis player!!! I even remember her taking me to buy my own racket, her favorite player was Chris Evert.  She even had some Chris Evert Converse sneakers she would play Tennis in, yet when my mom became sick and eventually passed all that stopped. 
I also had to re-learn a vegetarian diet and realize that it was not a diet that was based solely on processed soy products i.e Boca, Lightlife, Loma Linda, Morningstar, or Worthington products.  I have been using ALL of these products in one way or another for close to 39 years.  I never took the time to look at the nutritional label and see the volume of sodium within these products.  So although they were vegetarian, the amount of sodium in these could kill a horse!  Now, if you eat these products, like anything all things are fine within moderation but not everyday OR every Sabbath dinner.
I have also say, in this process I am so grateful to my brother James Beard award Nominee Chef Keith Rhodes, owner of Catch and Phun Restaurants.  Keith has taught me a lot about food balance, how to make healthy vegetarian food, what organic is and how it relates to the produce you select, food sustainability, why purchasing local foods is better than something shipped in and many other important issues dealing with food.  
This change in my life has affected me so much Spiritually.  Exercising I found myself praying more.  Before, during and after my workouts -- at first saying Lord give me strength, LOL!  However, further into this change it has been not just give me strength but truly "Create in me a clean heart and renew a right spirit within me" Psalms 51:10 and "Don’t you realize that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit, who lives in you and was given to you by God? You do not belong to yourself, for God bought you with a high price. So you must honor God with your body."  1 Corinthians 6: 19-20.  
I am proud that I am making even better food choices BUT I am most proud of the fact that I am slowly learning to like exercise and realize the benefits of it.
I have lost 25lbs with much more to go on my 5 feet 11inch frame but I am definitely committed.
So I guess, I win!


2 comments:

  1. This is great! You are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I am on the journey with you!

    ReplyDelete